Simi Valley Police Explorers
The Simi Valley Police Department Explorer Post was established in the 1970s and has been a guiding force in the development of hundreds of young men and women since its inception. The Explorer Post offers individuals 14 to 20 years of age an opportunity to learn about a career in law enforcement. Explorers have the ability to attend a modified law enforcement academy, assist the Simi Valley Police Department in various tasks, work community events, attend Explorer Competitions and participate in patrol ride-a-longs.
Law Enforcement Exploring is open to teens ages 14 through 20 years old. All 14-year-old participants must have already graduated from the eighth grade.
Other requirements include:
- Person of good character and integrity. No arrest or conviction record for serious offenses or multiple minor offenses. Overall record of arrest(s), citation(s), drug use and other recent questionable history
- Must maintain a 2.0 GPA, with no failing grades (applicable to students).
- Submit to a thorough background investigation.
- Must sign a City of Simi Valley 'Hold Harmless and Release' and 'Learning for Life' form. Form must be signed by the parent or legal guardian and/or the Explorer Candidate if of legal age.
- Be of good mental and physical health.
All potential candidates will be required to submit to a thorough background investigation which is conducted by Simi Valley Police Department Explorer Post Advisors. The background investigation consists of reviewing a personal history statement, Live Scan, contact with current or former school staff, employers, and personal references.
Any discrepancies or failure to be truthful, is grounds for immediate and indefinite disqualification.
How to apply
All prospective candidates are encouraged to attend a Post meeting, which are held on Monday evenings from 5 PM - 7 PM. Meetings are held at the Simi Valley Police Department in the Emergency Operations Center (EOC).
At a Post meeting, prospective candidates will be given an application packet and a Recruitment Event date.
Candidates will also be required to attend a Recruitment Event. At the Recruitment Event, prospective candidates will be required to interview for the position of Police Explorer, applications will be reviewed, background information will be submitted, and a Live Scan fingerprinting will be performed.
See the events page for Post meeting and Recruitment Event dates.
*Prospective Candidates will be expected to be present at Post meetings and Recruitment event for the duration of the meeting (two hours), unless prior arraignments are made.